Endocrine Tumor Diagnostic and Surgical Services
Our hospital specializes in providing unparalleled treatment of endocrine tumors. We provide all services required for the diagnosis and surgical treatment of tumors of the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands. We are staffed by doctors, nurses, and technicians who have dedicated their careers to the treatment of endocrine tumors.
Our surgeons include some of the top endocrine surgeons in the world, all of whom came together under one roof with the common goal of providing the best treatments and highest cure rates available anywhere. Many of the surgeons on our staff were the head of endocrine surgery at their hospital or university prior to joining our staff.
We have dedicated programs designed around the rapid and accurate diagnosis and treatment of each of the endocrine tumors. Our surgeons, surgical teams and even the hospital itself is organized around each of the endocrine glands we care for: Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal. The result is unprecedented expertise delivered in an efficient, and patient-centered fashion.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid Tumors
Thyroid surgical disease can be diagnosed and treated at our hospital, including:
- Papillary Thyroid Cancer
- Follicular Thyroid Cancer
- Hurthle Cell Thyroid Cancer
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer
- Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Goiter and Sub-Sternal Goiter
- Grave's Disease
- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
- Thyroid Nodules (benign and malignant)
Types of Treatments for Thyroid Tumors
- Traditional Open Thyroid Surgery
- Scarless Robotic Thyroid Surgery
- Lymph Node Dissection of the Neck for Cancer
- Trans-Oral Scarless Thyroid Surgery
- Radio-Frequency Ablation of Thyroid Nodules.
- Expert Ultrasound Mapping of Thyroid and Lymph Nodes
- Rapid-Turn-Around Thyroid Biopsy
- Expert High-Definition CT Scan for Thyroid Tumors.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Parathyroid Adenomas
Physicians on the medical staff have performed nearly 4000 parathyroid operations annually and have technicians, nurses, and surgeons who are dedicated to treating parathyroid tumors. Hyperparathyroidism can be diagnosed and treated, including:
- Primary Hyperparathyroidism (by far the most common)
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (typically on dialysis)
- Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism (post kidney transplant)
Types of Treatment for Parathyroid Tumors
- Mini-4-Gland-Parathyroid Surgery (our standard operation)
- Re-Operative Parathyroid Surgery (failed surgery at another hospital)
- Resection of Mediastinal and Chest Parathyroid Tumors
- High-Resolution Sestamibi Scanning
- 4-D CT Scanning (rarely necessary)
- Fusion Scan (CT w Sestamibi fused) (mediastinal parathyroid tumors)
Diagnosis and Treatment of Adrenal Tumors
Adrenal tumors are less common than thyroid or parathyroid tumors, and yet they require tremendous skill and expertise to diagnose correctly and treat safely. Many adrenal tumors that should be removed go un-diagnosed and un-treated because they are not recognized and/or their workup is too complex.
Adrenal tumors are diagnosed and treated, including:
- Aldosterone Secreting Tumors (Cohn's Syndrome)
- Cortisol Secreting Tumors (Cushing's Syndrome)
- Pheochromocytoma (adrenal medulla tumor)
- Bilateral Adrenal Hyperplasia (Cushing's Disease)
- Non-Functional Adrenal Adenomas
- Adrenal Cancer
Types of Treatment for Adrenal Tumors
- Mini-Back-Scope Adrenalectomy (best surgical option for 90% of adrenal tumors)
- Open Trans-Abdominal Adrenalectomy (for large adrenal masses and cancers)
- Trans-Peritoneal Adrenalectomy (for large adrenal masses and cancers)
- High-Resolution CT Scanning
- Rapid Adrenal Hormone Analysis
Other Services and Programs
Endocrine Tumor Screening
The Hospital for Endocrine Surgery plays a leadership role in HCA Healthcare Hospitals' "Care-Assure" Endocrine Tumor Screening Program. This important initiative examines all CT scans and blood work performed in the 50 HCA Healthcare hospitals in the state of Florida.
At hospitals world-wide patients come to the emergency room for symptoms which result in a number of blood tests being performed and scans being done. These tests and scans occasionally reveal a tumor of the adrenal or thyroid gland, or high blood calcium indicative of a parathyroid tumor. The goal of HCA Healthcare's Endocrine Tumor Care-Assure Program is to make sure these patients with incidentally found endocrine tumors are followed up on and diagnosed/treated appropriately.
Endocrine Surgery Research
The physicians at the Hospital for Endocrine Surgery conduct clinical research on many thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal issues. Our surgical staff boasts more than 1200 published scientific articles, including in the: New England Journal of Medicine, Nature, Science, Cell, Nature Genetics, the Lancet, JAMA, Surgery, Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Endocrinology, Otolaryngology, Journal of Surgical Oncology, Journal of the Head and Neck Society, and many more. .